Friday, May 19, 2006

Da Vinci Code



vanou:

Right... so...
How do I say this...

I'll be completly honest, no bullshit.
I didn't read the book, but I very qualified source said, waist of time, not really well written...
So I didn't read the book.

I did go see the movie tonight...
Ok, I saw the movie with a bunch a guys that don't believe in the Church or whatever...
But still...
Wait for it...

To me this one just one more clue chasing, bad guy chasing good guy movie.
Remember National Treasure? Well replace the Constitution stuff by some Christianity stuff, and you've got the movie.
So don't be giving them any awards unless you're planning on giving one to Nick Cage...

Ok, my two cents... don't be freaking out on me now...

MP:

Ok. I didn't read the book either. For the good reason that when I know a movie is coming out based on the book, I wait for the movie. Because I know that when you read a book, and THEN see a movie, you are always disappointed, contradicted and unsatisfied. So there. I didn't read the book.

The thing with this movie is that there was so much buzz surrounding it, and the trailer was really good. You saw beautiful images, an interesting plot and a A-list cast. And Ron Howard. He usually does pretty good stuff.
So the expectations, even if you didn't read the book, were great.
And that is a dangerous thing.

I was prepared to be absolutely amazed. Which I was not.
There were lots of breathtaking shots, I will give it that. But I was waiting for a bigger intrigue. A bigger hook. You could see the bad guys coming a mile away, and what the heros will become, and how they will get out of trouble.
I am thinking that if the book was so widely popular, it must have been better.
There must have been something more, an X-factor, or something like that.

I liked the part where the whole secret of the Holy Grail was reveiled by Ian McKellen and the painting of the Last Supper dissected. That worked for me. But lots of the things that followed seemed to lack some steam. At the end, it just goes on and on, and you wonder if the book is the same.
And the ending. That must have been alterated. All the crap about 'You believe what you want to believe' and all that, was probably put in there for the movie not to be banned from strongly christian countries or cities. It was so moralistic, and irrrhhh. Sort of took away from the controversy of the movie, which was the best thing in the first place. They should have just ended with the shot of the Holy Grail under the Louvre pyramides. But that's just my opinion.

1 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Waist' of time?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home